Thursday, May 19, 2011

pink toenails


One of my favorite classes at Simpson was Gender, Race and Class in Media and it was taught by one of the most controversial professors on campus, Susanne Gubanc. At the time I had no clue how much this class would impact me and I still carry the lessons I learned with me today. I grew up like most people in Iowa in a small, middle-class, primarily white community. I was always aware that not everyone was just like me and to treat everyone the same and that was that, I didn't think of gender, class or race much past that.

In this class we spent countless hours going over case study after case study analyzing differences and how people are treated due to these factors. A couple examples that stick out to me. Have you ever thought about Band-Aids? Those were definitely made for Caucasians' skin tones. Then there were the parents who decided to raise their baby boy as a girl to break the culture gender stereotypes that exist today and not until the child was in his teens did they break the news to him, that he was a boy not a girl. Eek, I do think that is crossing the line.

I've been thinking back to this class due to the controversy being stirred up by Jenna Lyons, Creative Director at J. Crew. She was featured in an advertisement with her son with a quote, "Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink."

I immediately thought "what would I do if I had a son and his favorite color was pink?" I'll be honest, I don't know if I would encourage it. Not because of the sexuality aspect, a color is a color but I would be afraid of the scrutiny he would receive at school. There is a lot of pressure on boys and their masculinity. Girls have it much easier when it comes to these stereotypes. It is much easier for girls to get away with being a "tomboy" than if the roles were reversed.

Just something to ponder...

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a divisive, but interesting topic. I took Gender Role Development as a May Term course during my Simpson years and loved it. As my older was starting a family and raising their first of three kids at the time, I was always quick to offer advice on paint color for their room (green or yellow) and refused to buy pink clothing for her.
    You are def their is a lot of pressure and stereotypes placed on kids of all ages. Kids can be brutal. I hope I could be strong enough to help my kid be the person they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with eating flies or dirt, however I would discourage my child from eating either.

    ReplyDelete