Monday, August 29, 2011

My Top 10 (via a guest blog)

Hey People,
You may be familiar with J-Rod, as that is what Stacy refers to me as in her blog, but I am Jared and I'm here to provide a guest blog post. Here we go!
Since you currently read Stacy's blog, you are well aware that we enjoy dining eating out and trying new, local restaurants as much as possible. We do that here in Des Moines and always do our best to find a good, unique, local place when we visit another town or city. It allows us to meet the locals, learn more about the surroundings and, obviously, enjoy some good food!
When the Des Moines Register and Metromix.com came out with the Top 100 Restaurants in Central Iowa list in 2009, Stacy immediately said she had to eat at all 100 of them. At first I thought this was a dumb idea:
1) who would want to spend a lot of money on food that is worse than what we (80% she; 20% me) could make at home? She's a great cook (I'm just her sous chef) and makes wonderful meals--her friends and family can vouch for that
B) after a quick gander at the list, I noticed a few restaurants that would have nasty food--sushi, Vietnamese, French? For most of my life I was a picky eater and leery of trying new things. Since being with Stacy, she's forced me to try new things and turns out, they're actually really good (except sushi...not too big on the raw fish).
3) this would be expensive! I'm sure you've heard, but I'm somewhat cheap...I'll admit it, charge my cell phone at work so I don’t have to pay to charge it at home (pathetic, right?). Or I'll keep the thermostat at a certain temp, even when family is visiting, to save a few $ on the electricity bill. However, I'm not opposed to splurging every so often and it's not like we live an uncomfortable life...we're blessed and we've got it pretty good. But seriously...take a look at the list and you'll see that 801 Chophouse has a minimum per plate cost of $31! I could buy 1/2 of an Iowa football ticket with that money (did I just say that?).
Stacy is determined to get to all 100 on the original list (she's at 80) and I've been to nearly every one of them with her. It has opened my taste buds, exposed me to new things and helped me get accustomed to trying new things. Also, I've realized that the money spent is sometimes worth it--enjoyable time with each other, good conversation with friends and togetherness with family. So thanks, Stacy, for letting me tag along.
Anyway, the point of this guest post was to reveal my voting for the new top 100 restaurant list coming out in September. Here it is:
1) Alba -- best meal I've ever had in Des Moines and probably the 2nd best meal I've had (sorry Mom and sorry Stacy).
2) Simon's -- the food is good, but the atmosphere and service are fantastic. Can't beat a place where the owner let's you hang out (with him) 2 or 3 hours after closing time while sharing a few bottles of wine (on the house).
3) Cosi Cucina -- great food, great service and decent prices. Best cheesecake in town doesn't hurt either.
4) 801 Chophouse (yep, this $31 minimum pre plate place made the list). We had a coupon to use here and it was fantastic. Great service, great food and a neat experience--felt like we were living in the 1920's.
5) Cafe di Scala -- fantastic homemade pasta, great location and ambience having this restaurant in an old Victorian mansion. Oh, and if you like tiramasu, go here.
6) Centro -- great location right in a busy part of downtown. The place is always bustling with excitement and it is neat to see into the kitchen. Oh, the food is great.
7) Jethro's -- best BBQ I've had, sides are great, drinks are great and there is always sports on the tv...perfect combo.
8) Proof -- never thought I'd like Mediterranean food, but boy is it good. Love me some lamb burgers with falafel and couscous. Plus, you get a great spinach salad to boot.
9) Sbrocco -- one of the best appetizers in town, the pomme frites--french fries coated in parmesan cheese and white truffle oil. Yum!
10) Bordenaro's -- pizza is one of my favorite foods and this place is the best in town. Some slightly spicy sauce and thin crust can't be beat.
There it is, my top 10. I'll end it now as m post is way too long as a guest post. I promise, it will be shorter next time.
Jared (J-Rod)

3 comments:

  1. Great post J-Rod! You are pretty good at this blogging thing. Maybe it's time you start one of your own....just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for guest posts!!!

    that's a good list and great call on the cosi cucina cheesecake.
    good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved it! and you sound just like G hehe

    ReplyDelete