Wednesday, June 22, 2011

project garden : update


a picture is worth a thousand words? that use to be my spinach. my garden has been eaten to shreds by those silly rabbits. i have such a feeling of rage against them that i even have my friends chasing after them in mid-conversation. this week i have pulled out all the stops, hoping to get rid of all rabbits so i can start over for a fall harvest. no, i didn't buy a bb gun, let's get real, i'm pretty sure i'd hurt myself before i'd ever hit a rabbit. i lined our perimeter with moth balls so our yard does reek of an old person's closet. then i followed that up by sprinkling bone meal around the bases of all my plants and flowers that are left. this weekend i hope to plant some marigolds, apparently the scent also helps in keeping those terrible fury creatures away.

i'm open to suggestions if you know of something i haven't tried yet....

thankfully my onions, tomatoes and anything i had in a container are still doing okay including the herbs...looks like i might be making a lot of salsa at this rate.

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to chase away the rabbits for the bargain price of a marg and chips 'n salsa :)

    Moth balls have been doing the trick for my parents - at least your garden is away from your house. I feel like I'm walking into the nursing home when I walk past the patio when I go home :)

    ReplyDelete